Sunday 17 July 2011

What to buy for your hantaran?

A lot of people have the problem of thinking what to place on the dulang hantaran. It depends on the amount of dulangs you and your husband-to-be agreed upon. In my case, we've decided to exchange 9 with 7. Me being 9 of course. From my experience attending my friends and families' weddings, I noticed that people often place gadgets especially cellphones on one of the dulangs.
It is wholly up to you if you want to do the same and keep the whole trend on. Now that we have iPads and the latest iPhone 4, it wouldn't be a surprise if those who get married this year, will have any of the two gadgets placed on one of their hantarans. Me and my husband-to-be haven't decided on what to get for each other but we did agree earlier this year that whatever I wanted, I would buy on my own, and vice versa. I strongly feel that this would be fair to one another especially that we're young and still in the early years of entering the workforce (threw away a bit of hint about me, ay?). But I mean this is totally up to you guys. :)
Often men would give us Muslim women items that include the Holy Quran, prayer clothes and mat (telekung and sejadah), mas kahwin (depending the State you live in), probably baju kurung, something sweet (manisan) such as cakes or chocolates, of course the ring, toiletries (optional), and whatever other things that you agreed upon.
As for us women, we would often give men the Holy Quran as well, prayer mat, Baju Melayu and songkok, a nice shirt for work and shoes (optional), toiletries (optional), something sweet as well, and other things that you and your husband-to-be agreed upon.
Besides the must-have things (e.g. Holy Quran, mas kahwin), people nowadays have so many different ideas on what to give each other during the wedding. I mean I have nothing against people giving the key to a Ferrari or a big bungalow house cause it depends on what you can afford. But make sure that the whole preparation doesn't go 'overboard' in the context of Islam. This is a reminder for me as well. I have 4 months to get married and I pray to God that I will not go overboard and not do things that are in contrast to the Islamic teachings along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment